9 things to consider before hiring your car insurance
Choosing car insurance is not always easy. There are many different insurance companies and products on the market that do not always offer the most suitable assurance for our vehicle.
To help you choose the car insurance that best suits you, we tell you that you have to take into account before signing the policy:
1. Analyze your characteristics as a driver
It is difficult to talk about “the best insurance” in general terms because it is convenient to find the policy that suits our specific needs. Therefore, before hiring car insurance, we must assess what our habits as drivers are: if we use the car a lot on long journeys and we need a good roadside assistance coverage or if we park on the street and, therefore, there is a greater risk of theft.
2. Keep in mind the type of vehicle you are going to insure
It is not the same to insure a new car as a second-hand car with more than eight years and whose value is low. On the other hand, it is important to take into account the use that we are going to make of the vehicle. We will need some other covers. For example, if we use the car daily as a work tool, we will need to include the replacement car warranty so as not to cease our activity in case of an accident or breakdown.
3. Choose the most appropriate insurance:
Once we have defined what our needs are and those of our vehicle. It is time to decide the insurance that we want to contract: third-party insurance, extended third-party insurance or all risks.
● Third-party insurance covers mandatory civil liability, that is, the damages we cause to third parties but not those of our own vehicle. Therefore, it is a good option for older vehicles with low value.
● Extended third-party insurance usually adds guarantees such as window breakage or theft.
● All risks include damage to our vehicle and incorporate interesting additional guarantees such as non-concerted healthcare or compensation for disability or death found or the replacement of the vehicle.
4. Save with a franchise:
If you want to protect your vehicle with all-risk insurance but we do not want to consider a high cost in the premium, a good solution is to hire insurance with the franchise. In this way, we will pay less for the insurance, but in case of an accident, we will have to assume part of the cost. For example, if we have franchise insurance of 300 euros, in case of an accident, 300 euros will have to be paid, and the insurer will pay the rest of the cost of the repair. Virtually all companies have different types of franchise options.
5. Pay attention to exclusions
There are situations that car insurance does not cover, even if it is at full risk. To avoid surprises, check the exclusions included in your policy before signing. The most common are the accidents that occur under the influence of alcohol or dangerous situations to which the driver is exposed, such as excessive load or participation in races.
6. Stay tuned for promotions
In the insurance sector, there are continuous offers, such as discounts when contracting more than one policy with the company.
7. Beware of the elements that increase the price
Including in our vehicle extras that do not come standard can increase the price of the premium, as it increases the value of the car. Before doing so, assess its real utility and analyze if that price increase compensates you.
8. Take care of your accident history
The better our driving behaviour, the less we will pay for our insurance. Companies bonus or penalize drivers based on their accident history, so good drivers will pay less for their car insurance.
9. Compare offers
One of the easiest and fastest ways to save on car insurance is to compare offers. Currently, it is possible to save up to 65% on the price of car insurance by using online website tools to compare the products of the main companies in the market.